Last week, the 16 Eddy Village Green House homes graciously hosted 26 people from various parts of the country as they embarked on the week-long training through THE GREEN HOUSE® Project Educator program. The Educator program is a “train the trainer” program in which participants are equipped with the knowledge and skills they need to return to their respective sites and provide their teams with the core education that is the foundation of the Green House model.
The Educator program began in 2009 and the August 2013 Educator class was the largest in its history! Participants represented 9 different states including individuals from the first Green House homes in Tupelo, Mississippi. Other states represented were: Florida, New York, Wyoming, Maryland, Pennsylvania, Tennessee, Wisconsin, and Minnesota.
Each day of the 5 day training had a dominant theme: Overview of the overarching Green House model philosophy & review of the 6 principles of Adult Learner Centered Education (Day 1), Effective Communication (Day 2), Roles & the Self-Managed Work Team (Day 3), The Elder (Day 4) and finally a synthesis of the week and creation of an Educator Code of Ethics (Day 5).
As a result of that diversity, it was a week filled with many thoughtful discussions and learning experiences…
- “We are the glue that holds the house together in partnership with the elders”
- “It’s not about your expectations, it’s about the elder’s expectations”
- As Shahbazim, “We are the eyes, we see what others don’t see”
- “As an administrator, I am used to knowing what to do…but after stepping back things started to happen. That’s what I’ll have to do in the Green House home”
- “ You took the boredom away” (Elder, after participating in meaningful engagement with Educator participant)
This graduating class brings the number of Green House Educators nationwide to 113! We look forward to watching the number of Educators continue to grow as they spread across the nation to light the way!
Congratulations to all!
Please share your good wishes to this new team of graduates!